Ok sports fans, I am particularly psyched out of my mind about today’s post! Today I am teaming up with a group of very talented DIY bloggers in a
“Re-purpose It” challenge.
For my project I decided to take on the dresser that was banished to our guest room. It has been slowly falling apart and definitely needed a little lovin’ … Let’s dive in, shall we ?
DISCLAIMER: Let’s be real, this is NOT a detailed build plan, it is more of a basic breakdown of the process I went through. HOWEVER… here is general list of the tools and supplies I used.
- Table Saw
- Nail Gun
- Kreg Jig
- 1/4″ wood paneling (4’x8′)
- 1×3″ boards
- Wood Glue
- (3) Ice Box Hardware Kits- Available at D. Lawless Hardware
- (1) Ice Box Sign
Alrighty, I started by dismantling that sucker! I kind of took it down to the bones. It had a decent frame, but it needed some
MINOR improvements. 🙂
Once dismantled, I started constructing a frame out of cheap-o 1×3’s. (Pretty sure that is their technical term.) I made two of these frames (see image below) one for each side.
I then cut and attached a piece of 1/4″ paneling to the sides. I wanted to be able to give the exterior a nice stained finish. So I slathered it up with wood glue, and then tacked it in place for good measure. I then attached the newly constructed frames to the sides. (On top of the freshly installed paneling.)
After the side frames were attached, I then needed to make it look pretty. It needed a face frame.
Looking prettier already!
Going into this project, I knew I wanted to give this dresser some additional height. (Hence the constructed frame.) The reasoning? I wanted to create a lower shelf. I wanted to give it a rustic look AND I am also cheap, so yet again I turned to 1×3’s.
Now I needed some doors on this sucker. I made shaker style cabinet doors. Its just a little more work and a lot-a-bit of math. The only thing that is different about these shaker style doors is that I needed to route out a lip on the edge to accommodate the specialty hinges.
Pretty right !?
I then added the hardware and a center board that would make it APPEAR as if all of these doors work independently. (Spoiler Alert: They don’t 🙂 )
Now it is time for the GORGEOUS hardware. I got mine from D. Lawless Hardware, and honestly it is the best price point I was able to find anywhere!
(So… you may have noticed in the mean time I stained my cabinet…I ran out of materials and my son was napping… ) Now for the cool part. Time to reinstall the drawers. I spaced my drawers a little differently than they were originally placed.
I then added my drawers. (I did decide resurface the drawers fronts so that it would all have a cohesive look.)
Last step: It needed a top! I scored a 1″ x 12″x 6′ from the 70% off section at Home Depot. Using a Kreg Jig I joined the boards together. I cut them down, and then routed the edge to make it pretty.
Then I attached and stained that bad boy!
Thanks for reading and Take Luck,