Not too long ago I completed an Ikea makeover that I absolutely loved! (See that awesome project here.) That makeover got my brain ticking… Let me introduce you to my newest makeover conquest. Just to keep it real, this post does contain affiliate links. However, I never promote a product I do not personally use and love. Thanks.
- Old Ikea shelf or something similar
- Wood Trim
- Gorilla Wood Glue
- Minwax Stain
- Foam Brushes
- Drawer Pulls
- Flush Mount Hinges 4(sets) total of 8
- Casters (4)
Tools Suggested :
- Nail Gun
- Table Saw
- Miter Saw
1.) Build Up the Base-
I began by adding 2×4’s as a base. This will give it an additional 1.5″ in the overall height, and give the base some visual weight.
2.) Trim Out Base–
I added trim around the base, I made the trim pieces wide enough to completely cover the edge of the cabinet as well as the 2×4. When adding trim I would suggest creating mitered joints. Secure in place by gluing and reinforce with nails.
3. Trim Out Top-
Repeat the same process on the perimeter of the top edge. Again, miter the corners, Gorilla Glue‘d that sucker in place, and then reinforced with nails.
4.) Add Corner Trim Pieces-
Cut trim pieces to fit. Beginning with the front edges, and following on the side trim pieces. Again, glue and then nail in place. I then added paneling on the side.
5.) Trim Out Remaining Edges-
At this point I covered all the remaining exposed laminate edges.
6.) Add Top –
7. ) Make Doors-
I used a 1/2″ plywood for my doors. The doors will need to be able to sit WITHIN the opening. I simply measured from the edge of the opening to the support/divider
8.) Attach Doors-
I am not going to sugar coat it, I have only used these one other time. (See this awesome project here) They are a little tricky when it comes to getting everything perfectly aligned. I don’t have any great words of wisdom, except persevere!
9.) Stain/Polyurethane –
A big thanks to the folks over at Minwax! I use their Jacobean Stain and finish with their Clear Satin polyurethane. I love this finish!
10.) Add Hardware-
When it came to picking hardware I knew I wanted the traditional “Label Pull”, but they don’t really sell them at most hardware stores. Lucky for me I was in the wood craft section of Michaels and lo and behold, look what I found!
They carry a 4 pack for only $1.99! Seriously, I was ecstatic!
There were a LOT of pulls to install so I made a template. I HIGHLY recommend it. The last thing you want after all the time and effort is for your hardware to be installed all wonky. The template will help keep everything aligned. I just cut a piece of card stock to the dimensions of the drawer fronts. I then found the desired placement for the pulls and punched two small holes where the screws would go. Easy peasy.
The last thing I added for aesthetics was metal castors. I found these ones at Home Depot for just over $5.00 a piece. I was in love. They were a little too bright for my taste, so I dusted them with some Oil Rubber Bronze Spray Paint, and they came out perfect! I did make this a while ago, and I believe they still carry them at Home Depot, if not they have them on Amazon.
Overall, I LOVE the way it turned out.
Thanks for reading!