It all started on a HOT Fall Florida day. My good friend Sara and I went and hit up the community garage sale. Let me tell you, we were victorious! I found this wood dresser in decent condition and they only wanted $15 for it. SOLD!
What intrigued me about this piece is that it was symmetrical, (the sides naturally) but also the top and the bottom of the unit were the same! Peculiar right? Well this unique piece ended up in my garage and began collecting dust. That was until Elisha from Pneumatic Addict extended a challenge, the “Organize Build Challenge”. Challenge Accepted!
The premise of this challenge was to create a piece that would help with organization, and also included building elements. Lucky for me, I had this dresser just itching for a nice makeover!
…and when it comes to makeovers no one does them quite like HomeRight! I am so excited to partner up with HomeRight on this project, it is through great companies like HomeRight and affiliate links that I can continue to provide all these tutorials at zero additional cost to my readers! So a big thank you to them! (More info. available here.)
So, let’s dive in, shall we?!
How I turned a Dresser into a Mini Mudroom
I started by throwing caution to the wind and went a little crazy! I removed the drawers and flipped it on it’s end. MIND BLOWN, right !?
I knew I was going to need better access to the inside of the dresser, so I removed the back. I also removed a secondary face frame from the unit. (It just made it look too bulky.) Next, I beefed up the base using 2×3’s.
The reason for beefing up the base ? I wanted to be able to add some base trim, and also give it a little bit of visual weight. I then proceeded to do the same to the top, first by adding the 2×3’s as a base to attach the trim to.
Naturally, next I added the trim to cover up the 2×3’s on the top of the unit. After it was trimmed out, I went a little crazy. I cut out some of the divider/supports! Crazy, I KNOW! ( Don’t worry I had a plan! *fingers crossed*)
Next, I constructed a series of shelves that would be inserted and attached to the dresser. I decided to do staggered width shelves. First for visual interest, and second I wanted to use them for… wait for it… SHOE STORAGE! Gasp, *shock and awe*. I know, right!? The staggered widths would be perfect for my shoes, boots, and would also be perfect size for my kids shoes . Also with the shorter shelves they wouldn’t need to go fishing to reach them out of the back of the cabinet. Once the shelves were attached, it really started to come together! *phew* Next, I needed to add doors. So, I used what I had! I removed the faces from the old drawers.
I definitely did not want this to look like a dresser that I had flipped on it’s side. So, I decided to cut grooves in the panels to give a more rustic apothecary feel. Worked like a charm!
Once the panels were all sanded and prepped, I was ready to prime! So I busted out my handy HomeRight Finish Max Sprayer and got to work!
I was able to prime both my cabinet doors and the dresser/cabinet in just a few minutes! Part of this dresser was oak so it had a really deep set grain, so it required two coats of primer and then it was ready for paint!
There is something about spraying on paint that I find so rewarding! Seriously, look at how quickly I knock out this board, with ZERO brush streaks!
Once all of my painting was done, it was time to bring it all together! I decided that I wanted to add feet, so I simply added some adapter plates, and then you screw the feet in! Easy Peasy.
Next, it was time to face my aversions to hinges and install the doors. Thank goodness it went smoothly! Also at this point I added a piece of wood to the back of the doors to bridge the gap. (Remember we removed the dividers earlier.) You may ask “But Corey, Why? This seems counterproductive!”
Well my friends this part of the reason. I wanted the two drawers/doors on the left side to be one continuous space… it would serve as a place to hang jackets! I even installed a pull out coat rack and key rack so that you can easily find everything!
The reason I cut out the divider bar on the other spaces, is because I wanted to have easy access to the shoe storage below. ( I really didn’t want a bar right in the middle!)
Side note: I had not originally planned to have open shelving. I had installed all the doors and was preparing to install those last two, but I kept staring at it, and ultimately decided I liked it, and that it gave it character. So I 86’d the two last doors. And there you have it folks, my alternative to a mudroom! It has a place for jackets, keys, shoes, and even extra cubbies for glasses etc! All -in – all, I will call this a success! Thanks for stopping by and make sure you see what others did for the “Organize Build Challenge” !
Make sure you check out these other awesome bloggers!