My addiction could be an expensive one, but I have mastered a few tricks to keep my boys dapper and my bank account (Husband) happy.
There are quite a few tutorials available for making little boy ties from scratch, this is not one. Granted they are cute, but I like them to look like a ” little mini man tie”, I am not a huge fan of the cotton.
If it is true what they say “A picture is worth a 1000 words” then this would be a VERY long post.
#1 The Necktie:
2. The stabilizer (white thick material) will run through the whole tie, push it to the side (leave attached).
3. Take an iron and create a new width, simply iron out the existing pressed edge and make the tie more narrow.
4. Do this on both sides so that the tie is even.
5. It should look like this now.
6. Now is time to size down the stabilizer… ( the white piece seen in step 2) You will use your new ironed tie as a template. Simply put the stabilizer under the tie and mark the new size.
7. Now that it is marked, cut down the stabilizer.
8. Then put the stabilizer back in the tie.
9.Now use a blind stitch to finish the seam in the back. There is a great tutorial here.
10. You should now have a adult length skinny tie…Simply tie a basic knot , either recruit your husband or follow this diagram.
11. Your tie should now look similar to this, (keep in mind you will want to tie it according to the height of the wearer).
Once you have it tied at the correct length you will cut off the excess about 2 inches above the knot.
12. The excess will become the 2nd tie.
13. Fold in the edges of the cut off ends and insert elastic. Measure the recipients neck to get the measurement of the elastic needed. For my son I only needed about 5″ of elastic. Keep in mind this will need to fit over his head…
Repeat on the other side…
3. Now use the remainder of the original strip. Simply tie a knot around the loop you just created.
5. Now repeat step 15 in the neck tie tutorial and you are done! Booyah.
ga(‘create’, ‘UA-42131831-1’, ‘sewingandsanding.blogspot.com’);
This is fantastic. I think it's really neat that none of the original tie goes to waste.
This makes me want a second boy now so I can make them match!