My husband will occasionally scan through the “Free” section of craigslist, and every once in a while I receive a text message from him ” Think you can do something with this ?” Haha. This was one such project. The structural integrity was so-so, the finish was in pretty bad shape, but it had good lines! But for FREE!? You just can’t beat that!
So Andrew (My Husband) brought it home, and I honestly didn’t touch it for a few days. I was not really sure if I wanted to completely change the entire thing, or go the easy route, and just refinish it. This time I opted for the
I was originally planning on simply painting all of the wicker drawers, but after a few coats, I realized it is NOT the look I was going for. So I re-grouped and decided to add paneling to the sides, and cover the wicker. I used construction glue, and caulked the edges to create a finished look. It worked like a charm. I then resumed priming the newly resurfaced bins.
Next it was time to paintthe actual unit. It needed a new paint job, and some structural reinforcing. When I take on a project like this, I usually prefer to take the entire thing apart, and work on nice flat/open surfaces. Yes, it is more prep work, but it will save you time in the long run!
I opted for Minwax Jacobean Stain for the top, and followed up with a coat of Satin Polyurethane.
So let’s break it down..
- Media console: FREE
- Paneling: $5.00
- Paint/Primer: Had on Hand
- Pulls: $1.53
- 1×6’s: $8 (Crazy good deal in clearance section.)
Sold : $175.00
I listed it on Craigslist and it sold within a day! All in all, I will call it a win!
Thanks for stopping by!