- Table Saw
- Miter Saw
- Nail Gun
- (x2) 1×3″ Pine Board
- (x1) 1×2″ Pine Board
- 2×4′ Chalkboard Handy Panel (or use chalkboard paint on a scrap piece)
- (x5)- 1/2″ Dowel Rods (24″)
- 1″ and 2″ 16 gauge finish nails
- (x2) 1″x 3 ” @ 25 1/2″ (w/ 45 degree cuts on ends)
- (x2) 1″x 3 ” @ 37 1/2″ (w/ 45 degree cuts on ends)
- (x2) 1″x 2 ” @ 24″ (w/ 45 degree cuts on ends)
- (x8) 1″ x 2″ @ 5 1/2″ (w/15 degree cuts on ends) REFERENCE “Step 2.” for clarification.
- (x4) 1″ x 2″ @ 5 1/2″ (w/15 degree cuts on end one end and 45 degree on other) REFERENCE “Step 2.” for clarification.
- (x5) 1/2″ Dowel Rods @ 24″
- Chalkboard Paneling @ 24″x 36″
Step 1. Build Frame
Using the 1″x 3″ boards construct a frame. I used wood glue on my corners and reinforced with 2″ finish nails.
Step 2. Install Spacers
Next we will be be cutting and installing the brackets. These will all be made from the 1×2″ boards. These are a little tricky, so PLEASE reference the diagrams below. Notice they are not 45 degree angles, they are 15 degree cuts, (with 1/2″ spaces in between boards, this is where the dowel rods will rest) and the boards that meet in the corners are 45 degree miter cuts.
*When installing, center the 1×2″ boards on the 1×3″ board. ( This should create a 1/2″ gap on either side of the 1″×2″, so you can install your chalkboard backing.)
I installed my 1×2″ boards using wood glue and 1″ 16 gauge finish nails.
Step 3. Add Top & Bottom Supports
Now you can add your remaining 1″x 2″ boards. Again, I used glue and reinforced with nails. (REMEMBER to leave the 1/2″ gap in the back to allow for the chalkboard panel.)
Step 4. Add Chalkboard
STOP! If you are planning to add a stain/paint finish, then I would suggest doing that now! ( I used Jacobean by Minwax)
Step 5. Add Dividers
All you have to do for this step is drop in the dowel rods! They are removable so that you can divide up your board however you please!
Step 6. Finishing Touches
I wanted to add some character to mine so I added some brackets to the sides! I wanted to be able to use a rope to tie it up and this would allow me to do that.